Crossing your legs while sitting might be comfortable for you, but is it good for you? A lot of us do it automatically. Yes this position makes you look confident, elegant and sexy, but it can have some serious consequences for our health and bodies. In this video we are listing down 5 reasons why you should never cross your legs.
1. It Can Lead To Peroneal Nerve Paralysis – Maintaining a particular posture for hours can lead to peroneal nerve paralysis or palsy. This can also happen if you sit in the same position for extended periods of time.
2. It Leads To an Increase In Blood Pressure – When you sit for a long time with your legs crossed, the blood pressure in your body increases. Even though you don’t have any problems with your blood pressure, avoiding sitting in this position can help you live a healthier life and prevent further circulatory disorders.
3. It Can Also Lead To Pelvic Imbalance – Prolonged leg-crossing makes the inner thigh muscle shorter and the outer thigh muscle longer and therefore puts your joints at risk of moving out of place.
4. It Increases Your Chances of Developing “Spider Veins” – The biggest contributing factor to varicose veins is your genes. But frequent crossing of the legs can lead to inflammation of the compressed veins. It can cause pooling of blood in the legs and make your veins swell which could be quite painful.
5. Develops Stooped Posture – Sitting with the legs crossed for longer than 3 hours per day may result in a person developing a stooped posture, lower back and neck pain and also discomfort in their hips.
So try to avoid this habit altogether to avoid the short and long-term health risks associated with it.